Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Best Salsa Ever!

I got this amazing recipe from a friend in our old ward and I just love it! It was a big hit at our family get together this last weekend, so I thought I would share it with all. If you like salsa, you'll love this! The hotter the better! I never buy salsa in bottles anymore because it's that good!

FRESH SALSA

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. oil
8+ or - chiles de arbol (whole, dried)

1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp. salt
2-3 cloves of garlic (minced) I use my Pampered Chef Garlic Press for this.
1 can 32 oz. crushed tomatoes

1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 whole limes)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 small onion
1/2 cucumber
4 radishes
1/3 bunch of cilantro
1 avocado

In blender combine water, salt, and garlic. Brown chiles in oil, add to blender. Blend for about 20 seconds, or until combined. Add crushed tomatoes then blend another 20 seconds, or until combined. Pour in to large mixing bowl. mix in lime juice, and cumin. Chop the onion, cucumber, radishes, avocado and cilantro, add to salsa. stir it all together and enjoy! Using just 8 chiles makes this salsa mild. If you like it HOT add more chiles. I personally like to put in 11 or 12. I've never tried more then 13.

Let me know how you like it!

4 comments:

Marie said...

This recipe reminds me...I think I have a cucumber rotting in my vegetable drawer.

Rachel said...

Hmmmm. . .sounds sooo good. I haven't made it since Thanksgiving time. It's about time, huh. I found another really good salsa recipe the other day that has a more fresh taste. I will have to get it too you! It is really good, but your recipe probably still beats it.

Sarah said...

Ruth-
It has been forever since I've seen you! I'm so glad we found each other's blogs. Your family is adorable and HUGE. You have been a busy woman! Where do you live now?

Megan said...

I love it! I'm making it tonight and I might just drink it all before tomorrow. Good thing Ben hates salsa, because he's not getting any:)