Sunday, January 03, 2010

The Never Ending Story

Jase: I started another project in wood this week. I’ve been thinking lately about the process that I go through in creating a piece of furniture or anything else for that matter. First comes the idea, whether from me or Ruth. Then comes the design, entailing several hours on paper and a few on the computer, making the best possible use of wood and still trying to maintain some sense of proportion. Next we obtain the materials.
Then the struggle begins. Machining of the various parts begins and I invariably find that I don’t have a tool that I need or some process is taking a lot longer than I planned for. The project goes on hold for some arbitrary time period until my frustration is gone or until Ruth bugs me to get the thing finished.
Our most recent conception is a set of shelves for our kids play room. It consists of two bookcases spaced to fit a futon between, a frame to sit atop the bookcases, and two sets of shelves to crown the entire thing.

This drawing doesn't show the piece placed in the corner where it will actually go, which is why the shelf on the right faces the left.

Here is a partial history of my projects.
Kitchen table three years in use but still not done
Workbench 1 year/1 week in use, covered with tools and stuff
bunk bed 1 week in use
headboard four years project abandoned after material acquisition
picture frame Three-five years? used metal instead
play room shelves 1 week in progress

I'm currently hung up on having the correct tools. I bought a router bit that doesn't fit my router. I realized this Saturday after the hardware store was closed and I was about to use the router. So I have to wait until I can get to the store for the right bit.

No comments: