Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day of rest

jase:

With six children and only a tiny yard for them, there is always something demanding our attention even/especially on Sundays. After church we return home and make lunch, ususally popcorn, fruit, cheese, and some summer sausage or salami if we have it. Following lunch is naptime for at least four of our family so that means "Quiet Time" for the rest. During quiet time the only activities allowed are reading, coloring, or writing. Every other activity has proven to generate noise beyond the acceptable level. Even coloring and reading don't work 100% of the time. But generally "Quite Time" works pretty well.

What doesn't work well for myself is the actual napping. There seems to be a paradox in that the duration of a successful nap is inversely proportional to my emotional state when the nap is ended. In other words, the longer the nap I get, the grumpier I am for the rest of the day. The shorter the nap, the less grumpy I am. Today we came home, ate lunch and then laid Aaron down in our bed with Ruth. David was laid in his bed. I settled into the recliner and read for a little bit. Then I napped for about 30 minutes. I had made an appointment to visit someone later which kept my nap short. So I awoke feeling pretty good. We walked to the other family's home and had a good visit and are now home and everybody seems in good spirits. Last week I slept for much longer, and definitely felt a little more selfish/self-centered when I got up.

Have you noticed anything similar at your house?

Hope you have enjoyed your Sunday and all your weekend!


3 comments:

Cameron and Liz said...

Weird, I have that same nap/grumpy thing going on. Glad I'm not the only one, but it does make napping on Sundays hard.

Megan said...

I think Aaron might be the cutest Mavy.

DebLawson said...

Ruth!
I was induced with Lindsay, my youngest. It actually went very well, less than 5 hours. I don't want to be induced, it just gives me a light at the end of this very long early labor I've been going through for 8 days now. :)
I agree! Natural is soooo much better. Maybe I'll go into labor tonite! Wish me luck!!! :)