Thursday, August 06, 2009

Technical Difficulties Chapter One

Jase:

Holy cow.....

Ever since David was born nothing is working right or everything is breaking. We have been having a hard time posting because our computer died. We have lived in this house for nearly four years and the things that need attention keep calling for it louder and louder.

When we moved in the previous homeowner, a kind older woman, left us her fridge, washer, and dryer with the house. We don't know how old they are, but the house is about 16 years old now. The fridge is a small one (does 14.8 cubic feet mean anything to you?) and I'm surprised we get by with it. The washing machine has been leaking oil onto the floor almost the entire time we have been here. But the latest story is the dryer, but that is only part of the story.

We have a roof-mounted evaporative (swamp) cooler to keep our house comfortable during the hot times. Swamp coolers are pretty simple creatures. That being said, they have to be taken care of. Ours has gotten old and contracted an appliance form of gangrene and leprosy combined. Swamp coolers have water sitting or running through them and this invites fungi, mold, rust and, if you live on a well traveled dirt road, like we do, mud.

Our swamp cooler was at the point of rusting into millions of pieces and my employer had offered me a pair of them. I have a hard time turning down free stuff, especially when I need it so I took the offer. I took a couple months to get the replacement day scheduled, but we finally got it on our books. That was for two weeks ago.

So the scheduled Saturday came and we loaded everything up and brought it to my house. Things went swell. My boss, John, did an excellent job of removing the old cooler and getting the replacements ready to install. I wanted to move the cooler switch inside the house to a more convenient situation. That went well. So we moved on the the second cooler.

Now, John had offered me two coolers, both of which had been sitting in the "yard" at work for several months. The coolers were pretty dirty from sitting underneath an oak tree for all that time, and spiders had taken up residence inside them.

John had this idea that two coolers on a house, both functioning on the low airflow speed, would work better than one cooler on high. So we cut a hole in my bedroom ceiling and in the roof to place the second cooler. The corresponding holes lined up surprising well and while John began work installing the cooler base on the roof, I started running wires for the new switch that would go in the bedroom. So I am minding my own business, trying to pull wires down through a wall. It's a clear day and already hot in the house since there aren't any functioning coolers yet, when all of a sudden it starts raining ductwork from the bedroom sky!

The straight sheet metal duct that was to connect the cooler with the bedroom fell (with some encouragement) straight down from John's hands and hit the base of my neck right at my shoulders. That nearly ended our day as it cut my neck pretty good. But it wasn't bleeding much and there was still work to do. We pulled the coolers up on the roof and set them in place without connecting the water or power. We picked up all the tools and trash and since band-aids weren't sticking I went to the ER to get some attention. John thought I needed stitches and my head wouldn't turn around far enough for me to examine the wound so I believed him.

It ended up that the doctor just put some glue on it because the skin wasn't cut all the way through. I hooked up the power and water the next day to one cooler. The other still sits waiting patiently.

One last note on the coolers. Among the nice little arachnids that had made the coolers their home were at least four black widows, two of which got blown into the house sometime after we turned on the cooler.

Ruth's note: One things for sure, our kids know what Black Widows look like. :)

3 comments:

Tamie said...

what a story to tell...wow! and hmm.....poisoness spiders running amuk in the house----so much fun. i'm "sure" ruth is in love with that as i type!

THE HAYES FAMILY said...

That is awful! Glad you are okay. I still haven't actually seen a live black widow...and hope I never do!

Becky said...

Hey Jason, I hope your doing ok. When it rains it really pours doesn't it! We love ya!!!