Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm NOT Wonder Woman?

David Almon Mavy
(Yes that's a binky IN his mouth! First one of ours to take one!)

As you all know by now, David has joined us! We've had an interesting few days since then.

Labor and Delivery was wonderful. I had Jason, my mom, my sister Becky, and a good friend,Tonya there to help me through contractions and be a part of the blessed event. My contractions started about 2am on Saturday and were coming about every ten minutes until about 4 that afternoon. They closed in at about 5 minutes apart and less at around 6pm and we headed for the hospital. He was born at 8:33pm and it was wonderful to have the company and help from all those present! I also was able to have my nurse midwife there. She has moved to Texas and she came to do a little "On Call" work for another doctor.

Everything seemed to be doing fine until Sunday afternoon. All the family and kids that were able to, came to the hospital for a visit. Everyone was able to get pictures with David. And we were all enjoying the visit. To make a long and crazy story shorter, I ended up losing about half of my blood volume and almost fainted a number of times from the loss. All that because there was a tiny piece of the placenta that came out in the last bleeding episode that I had. So, instead of going home on Sunday night as planned, I had to stay longer for observation and fluids. I was also at the point of having to consider a blood transfusion. Luckily the fluids worked well enough. They made me puff up like a roasted marshmallow, but they helped me feel a lot better. We planned on coming home Monday night after they were done pumping me with fluids if all was well. But apparently the doctor didn't like my numbers enough to let me go, so I was stuck there another night. Tuesday morning came and I was so ready to be out of there. Unfortunately, David was looking a bit yellow, so they tested him and his bilirubin levels were high. SO, we had to stay and keep him under the lights ALL day. The doctor also wanted me to be able to walk around without feeling dizzy before I would be able to leave. So, I tried my hardest. I took a shower, walking there and back the whole way and I felt good. I did have to sit for a little after to rest but I did good enough. All we were waiting for was the test results for David which they couldn't take until 8:30pm. I had to talk to the Dr. about the results which were good, He came down from 13.9 to 10.1, but she wanted me to stay another night with him under the lights. I told her that I knew how to handle Jaundice and I promised to bring him in to test again the next day. I just wanted to get the heck out of there before they found another reason to keep me longer. We got home at about 10:30pm Tuesday, and I had a wonderful nights rest in my own bed! We've been home for two days now and with all this running around and testing they've had me do, I'm pooped. I feel a lot better and am slowly getting my energy level back. They said I won't have my blood level fully recovered for at least three weeks and I am not allowed to be by myself with all the kids until then. It's so hard for me to HAVE to take it easy! I've always been able to bounce right back and get on with life. As of now we are both doing well, we're still waiting on the last test they did for his B.R. levels. I feel like they will be just fine. I've been nursing him like crazy and sitting him in any sunny window that I can. The kids all love having him around and I think they are all feeling the difference of not having as much attention from Momma. We've had some cranky kids around today for sure. But it's definitely to be expected right! Life is just so different right now for all of us! So, needless to say, I won't be able to do many of the things I wanted to do this summer even though he came early. Oh well, camping and L.A. are going to have to wait until another time!

I hope I haven't bored you all too much, but I guess if I had you would've stopped reading a long time ago! So, thanks for caring and for all your support and prayers! We love being a part of all your lives as you are a part of ours!


13 comments:

Becky said...

You're awesome Ruth! I love ya!!!

Carrina said...

He's beautiful. I can't believe how awake he looks for being a newborn.
Take it easy and enjoy the Dr.'s orders!

DebLawson said...

Oh Ruth!
I loved reading your birth story! I cannot believe the yucky part with you losing all that blood, how horrible. (I can relate, though, I had baby #2 in 52 minutes and it all happened so fast I lost a ton of blood, I did it 100% with no IV or fluids, so an hour after birth I DID pass out and went through 5 hours of yucky...not fun!)
Anyhow...
I'm so happy you and David are home and happy and healthy! He's a beautiful baby and I'm sure his sibs will get used to having him home soon! :)
Congratualations and have fun with your newborn!

HUGS to you!!!!:)

Kimi said...

So glad to hear that everyone is doing good now. You ARE amazing Ruth! He is adorable. Give him lots of kisses for me :)

Megan said...

He's SOOO cute! Sorry you're not feeling well. Sometimes it's more stressful to have to rest than to be worn out but at least busy. I feel for you! Don't worry though. I think Carolyn's going to bring the little kids home with her, and they'll have a blast playing with the girls. Get better quick!

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you're feeling all better--home and recovering! WOw, this is making it all too real for me. I'm not sure I'm ready to be next! Last night I was asking Tim, "How does that breathing through the pain go again?" We need a refresher! The reward is sweet--what a cute baby boy.

THE HAYES FAMILY said...

Doesn't it suck when we realize that we CAN'T do it all ourselves! Hope you get better quickly! Your little guy is so cute!

Lyman said...

Congratulations on #6. Happy to hear everyone is home now, and doing good.

Tamie said...

RUTH!!!! you ARE wonder woman with getting that little guy out of your without anything....i'm a epidurl woman all the way----though with our next one, i AM considering going with a midwife...we'll see how brave i am! ;)
we have a nurse in our ward and she told me that an easy way to combat jaundice is to supplement with formula in the hospital---that (i realize) is a personal choice, but i thought it interesting enough to consider it next go-around.
hang in that, and i suer hope that you feel better soon enough (but take it easy while you can too...)

vanessa said...

He's adorable, and isn't it great to be home. Now you just need to have someone tie you down so that you obey the doctors orders to take it easy!

Mary said...

I guess when you have so many, they start wearing you down. Just kidding! I love you Ruth and you are totally awesome!

Hendrickson Clan said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is such a nice feeling to be done. I'm sorry you had to go through everything else though. Thats rough! I'm glad to hear you and the little guy is doing better. You have a beautiful family!

kory and tina family said...

Congratulations. He's adorable. I'm so sorry to hear of the complications. Reading your story brought tears to my eyes (still a little hormonal I think or maybe to soon from our own ordeal). These little spirits have no idea what they put there mom's through. It's good to have family close. My mom had to leave the day after we brought Brayden home. Somehow you survive! Good Luck this week. You are in my prayers.