Friday, February 06, 2009

New family member blog

Welcome, Kip, to the blogosphere. I've added my brother Kip's blog to our link list here. You can navigate to his page by finding the link in our list below or click here. Now if we can just get Lyman to blog, we will all be on here.

Dad says I am an artist. I disagree, although I enjoy beautiful things and try to make nice stuff out of wood, I never feel like I've created anything original, just taken another person's idea and showed it to someone who hasn't seen it.

Dad is shortening his sycamore trees. I grabbed a piece of the wood hoping to find something exciting inside. Here is a picture of a half finished bowl from a cut-off from one of the trees. The brown squiggly marks (called spalting) running through the wood are most likely caused by a fungus but they add a lot of interest to an otherwise plain wood (no pun intended, the tree is also known as a plain tree).

2 comments:

Becky said...

Jason, THAT BOWL IS AWESOME! Are you going to make more? I just saw a bowl similar to that at Bed Bath and Beyond for over $30! It wasn't near as nice either. You might be onto something if you can make more!

Ruth said...

Jason, that's gorgeous! Are you going to bring it home with you this weekend? Your dad is right, anyone that can make something beautiful with their hands is an artist. I love you!